Thursday, June 26, 2008

Thinclient and Network Booting

A few months ago, an acquaintance pitched an idea about an authenticated network boot environment and pointed me to emBoot. I downloaded their trial winBoot software and never used it. I revisited the site to read about recent updates and I stumbled upon two interesting utilities that I missed a few months ago: SimplyRDP and sanFly.

SimplyRDP - this utility uses PXE to boot into a small OS that just runs an RDP/TS client.

netBoot/winBoot - these utilities enable PXE clients to boot from an iSCSI target (netBoot works for Windows 2000, XP and Linux; winBoot works with Windows Vista, 2003 and 2008).

sanFly - enables the creation and management of iSCSI targets in Windows XP, Vista, 2003 and 2008. sanFly is available for download at no cost, but additional functionality can be unlocked by purchasing a license key (emBoot)

I'll report back when I've had a chance to play with the utilities or expand the idea of secure network booting.

No comments: